Is Internet Marketing The Same As Digital Marketing? Not Exactly. No.
To be honest, until I researched this topic properly myself, I didn’t realise that the one wasn’t the same as the other.
Internet marketing often gets confused with digital marketing.
This means that in order to understand the difference, you need to be able to distinguish between the two.
So what is Digital Marketing?
It is when digital platforms are used as part of an entire marketing strategy, either to create or enhance online brand awareness or to promote particular products or services.
What then is Internet Marketing (otherwise known as Online Marketing)?
Aside from the obvious in that it needs internet connection to work; it is one but possibly the largest component of digital marketing being that almost all brand promotion today takes place online.
Through which channels then is internet marketing implemented?
1. Display or affiliate advertising.
- Affiliate advertising is when advertisers give publishers a specific amount of campaigns to place. The publishers only get paid their commission fees when the advertiser receives web traffic, or as Entrepreneur.com states, “for every lead or sale they drive to your (advertiser) website”.
- Display advertising is the placement of web banners or banner ads (static or interactive media) on third-party websites or blogs.
- Display advertising has a twofold purpose because it can be used to drive website traffic and also to grow brand awareness.
2. Search Engine Marketing (SEM) and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO).
- These are two terms that are often used interchangeably.
- Here’s the thing though. SEO is actually but one component of SEM.
- According to Wikipedia, SEM is “a form of internet marketing that involves the promotion of websites by increasing their visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs) through optimization and advertising.
SEM may use SEO, which adjusts or rewrites website content to achieve a higher ranking in search engine results pages, or use Pay Per Click (PPC) listings.”
3. Content Marketing.
- Content marketing has revolutionised internet marketing and the reason is simple, generic garble that’s posted online doesn’t work anymore.
- Google wants authenticity. It wants originality. So if you aren’t producing or curating content that is authentic, useful, informative, or valuable, well, your content marketing strategy will fail.
- In terms of SEO, it’s no longer just about link building or having social media presence. So much so that On-Page and Off-Page SEO tactics have had to evolve exponentially to have any sort of impact.
- And this means? You need to use an epic keyword strategy that will get your content ranked as high as possible. Just remember though, keeping that content real is critical.
4. Social Media.
- Millions of people are interacting online through social media channels like LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Vine, Pinterest, among others.
- This interaction is not just with family or friends. It is also with professionals, social communities, groups, forums, businesses and brands.
- Due to the extraordinary massive audience that social media channels have, targeting that audience as part of a digital marketing strategy has become critical for marketers.
5. Mobile Marketing.
- Consumers spend a lot of time on their smartphones or tablets. The rate at which they are turning to their mobile devices for online searching is increasing rapidly.
- So as Brett Relander says, “The last thing you want to have happen is to miss a customer because they could not find you through mobile searches due to incompatibility issues.”
- This means ensuring that you have a website and content that has been adapted for mobile usage.
What else do you think distinguishes Internet Marketing from Digital Marketing? Tweet me on @chatmash or drop me a line in the comments section below and let me know!